Sunday, November 8, 2009

Therefore, take no thought for your life


Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?
Matthew 6:25 NIV

Wow! That definitely goes counter to our culture today, doesn't it?

There is hardly any one sin that our Lord Jesus Christ offers more warnings to his disciples than the sin of disquieting, distracting, distrustful cares about the things of life. Consider that it is indeed an indicator that both the treasure and the heart are here on the earth; and therefore not in Heaven where we are directed us to store it.

But that is the very thing that we tend to think about. We think about our health, our wealth, our position in society. And what good does all of that "thinking" do? None of those thoughts can change one iota.

So what is it there for?

It is a not so subtle reminder that God is in control. And we are to rest comfortably and confidently in that knowledge.

My mind goes back to the A cappella choir at Eastern Nazarene College many years ago. One of their signature songs was taken from Psalm 31:15. The chorus says, "My times are in Thy hand, my God I wish them there."

That song will run through my head all day today. I hope it does for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment